WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- President Joe Biden is expected to announce on Thursday new measures for unvaccinated Americans. The White House said the six-step plan will address efforts to get more people vaccinated, keep schools open and enhance protection for those who already have had shots. Some measures will be related to access to testing, while others could be mandates, officials said. The measures come as cases and hospitalizations continue to rise across the country.
- Idaho patients in hospital halls amid COVID rationed care – Associated Press
- It’s Covid, stupid: Biden’s presidency bottlenecked by the pandemic – Politico
- @DavidBegnaud : Honolulu Police Cpl Mark Kutsy was pulled off the street while on patrol tonight, @HawaiiNewsNow reports. He had to turn in his gun & badge, & was suspended w/out pay & told he’ll be fired. Why? He refuses to get the Covid19 vaccine. His dept mandates it.
- @joncoopertweets : The Surprisingly Strong Supreme Court Precedent Supporting Vaccine Mandates. In 1905, the high court made a fateful ruling with eerie parallels to today: One person’s liberty can’t trump everyone else’s.
- Los Angeles is poised to become the first school district in the nation to issue a vaccine mandate for students. The district’s Board of Education will vote Thursday on a measure that would require a first vaccine dose by Nov. 21, with independent online study for students who opt out. A Florida judge ruled on Wednesday that the state cannot enforce its ban on mask mandates in public schools while the issue moves through an appeals court, reopening the opportunity for school districts to require masks.
- NYC, teachers union continue negotiations over COVID vaccine mandate – Chalkbeat New York
- Professors Fight Mask Bans – The New York Times
- Face masks for COVID pass their largest test yet – Nature
- @aseitzwald : Virginia: Two-thirds of RVs (67%) – and parents (64%) – support the requirement that students, teachers, and staff in VA schools wear face masks. A majority of voters (58%) would approve of requiring children 12+ to be vaxxed to attend in-person class.
- Jobless claims in the last week fell to a new pandemic low of 310,000, indicating that the rise of the delta variant has not spurred massive layoffs. At the same time, new evidence is emerging on what is driving employees to leave their jobs in the Great Resignation. Many report feeling disengaged and isolated during work from home mandates, which could be a more common factor motivating workers to leave.
- In the Middle of the Great Resignation, Employers Are Rejecting Millions of Qualified Workers, New Harvard Research Finds – Inc.
- Amid the ‘Great Resignation,’ just 7% of Americans say they have their dream job, survey finds – CNBC
- Work From Home? 6 Ways to Stay Focused and Avoid Burnout – The Wall Street Journal
- This is what it’s like to work from home in a tiny house – Real Estate Boston
- More employees who travel for work say they have tired of corporate travel, a sentiment behind some companies’ decisions to reduce their travel hours. Snack and pet food company Mars said it aims to keep travel to less than half pre-pandemic levels, a prospect that poses a threat to airlines and others in the travel industry. Even so, the slow rebound of trade shows, conferences and conventions this summer has offered a glimmer of hope for hotels and event centers.
- Spain has joined other European countries in banning unvaccinated travelers from the U.S. Denmark, Italy, and Norway have enacted similar restrictions, meaning U.S. travelers must present proof of vaccination to enter those countries and in some instances, may need proof to dine out or attend museums and shows.
“Workers are worried about COVID” – Axios / Source: U.S. Census Data
- Turbine Labs has tracked 20,749 media articles and blogs and 24,055 social media posts over the last 24 hours.