WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention formally endorsed the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine for children ages 5-11, supporting the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of the vaccine and paving the way for children to get vaccinated as early as this week. A hospital in Texas is preparing for a rush of 30,000 pediatric vaccine appointments made since the FDA’s authorization Friday, underscoring high demand for children to get the shot ahead of the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Texas voters passed a pair of constitutional amendments on Tuesday aimed at curbing some issues that arose during lockdowns last year. One measure prohibits governments from limiting religious services and another allows residents in nursing homes and long-term facilities to have an “essential caregiver” who cannot be barred from visiting. Local elections also resulted in a win for Republican Glenn Youngkin for governor of Virginia, signaling a threat to Democrats in House and Senate races next year.
- Takeaways from Tuesday’s elections: Bad omens for Democrats – Associated Press
- In New Jersey, GOP candidate’s small lead keeps Democrats anxious – The Washington Post
- The Federal Reserve is expected to announce on Wednesday its plans to reduce its bond-buying program, marking the biggest step yet in reversing pandemic-era stimulus. Policymakers must now shift their focus towards how to handle surging inflation that is lasting longer than anticipated.
- Biden Says He’ll Announce Pick ‘Fairly Quickly’ for Fed Chair – Bloomberg
- @thehill : .@SenSchumer: “Build Back Better will be fully paid for and will ultimately relieve our nation’s inflationary pressures. Don’t take my word for it. Many leading economists have made clear that this legislation would improve, not worsen inflation.”
- Digital real estate company Zillow will phase out its home-buying unit, citing the inability to forecast home prices due to the volatility of the market. The company said in its earnings release that with the elimination of the unit it will also cut 25% of its workforce.
- Waiting for a big drop in home prices? It could be a while – HousingWire
- @darrenrovell: A reminder to stick to your core business. Zillow’s core business wasn’t real estate. It was real estate DATA.
- Suicides in the U.S. fell for the second year in a row in 2020, even as pandemic-related stressors took a toll on Americans’ mental health. The number of suicides dropped 3% last year after cases soared 35% from 1999 to 2018, according to the CDC. However, the preliminary data showed increases in the number of suicides among young adults as well as some people of color.
- Why Won’t Employees Use Their Companies’ Mental Health Benefits? – The Wall Street Journal
- @Girlguiding : Children and young people face significant gaps in mental health support despite rise in demand, warn @CYPMentalHealth. Our #GirlsAttitudesSurvey showed alarming decline in girls’ wellbeing. We want young people’s wellbeing prioritised in the recovery. https://bit.ly/2ZHYaML
“The new faces of Covid deaths” – NBC News / Source: NBC News
- Turbine Labs has tracked 18,946 media articles and blogs and 22,678 social media posts over the last 24 hours.
- Questions or feedback? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly.